Virtual reality (VR) technology has the potential to be a powerful tool for weight loss, working out and staying fit. By providing engaging and immersive workouts, VR can make exercise more enjoyable and help people stick to their weight loss and fitness goals. In this article, we will explore some of the ways that VR can be used for fitness, and offer some tips for getting started with VR workouts.
Table of Contents
Benefits of VR workouts for weight loss
One of the biggest challenges of losing weight is sticking to a regular exercise routine. For many people, traditional workouts can be boring, painful, or intimidating. This can make it difficult to maintain the motivation and discipline needed to achieve weight loss goals.
VR technology offers a solution to these problems. By providing engaging and immersive workouts, VR can make exercise more enjoyable and engaging. This can help people stick to their weight loss plan and achieve better results.
VR workouts can also provide a number of other benefits for weight loss. For example, VR technology can reduce the perception of pain during workouts, making it easier to push through difficult exercises. VR workouts can also boost endurance and performance, helping people to burn more calories and improve their fitness. VR workouts can also be done from home, so you don’t have to worry about other people at the gym.
Finally, VR workouts can be gamified, making them more addictive than traditional workouts. This can help people stay motivated and engaged, and can lead to better results.
VR workout plan for beginners
This workout plan is designed specifically for beginners who are just starting to get into a regular exercise routine. It is important to start slowly and gradually increase intensity as your fitness level improves. This plan will help you build a strong foundation and establish healthy exercise habits that you can continue to build upon. It will also give you body enough time to rest while you get use to using your muscles in new ways with different VR games. With a little bit of consistency and dedication, this beginner workout plan will help you achieve your fitness goals.
|30 minutes fitness VR Example: Superhot VR, Beatsaber, BoxfitVR. Pick something you enjoy and that gets the heart rate up.|
|Stretch out any tight areas and feel free to play more leisurely titles like Walkabout Mini Putt, Skryim:VR or Moss|
|5 Songs of your favorite rhythm game: Put on 5 bangers that get you moving in rhythm games: Examples: Beat Saber, Ragnarok, Pistol Whip|
|Full rest day|
|20 minutes VR boxing conditioning: Pick your favorite boxing game and set a timer for 20 minutes. Examples include Thrill of the Fight, BoxfitVR and Lesmills body combat.|
Feel free to change out any VR games for your preference or budget
VR workout plan for the more advanced
This VR workout plan is designed for advanced exercisers who are looking to take their fitness to the next level. It includes a variety of exercises that target all major muscle groups and incorporate cardio to get your heart rate up. This plan is not for the faint of heart, and is best suited for those who have a strong base of fitness and are ready to take their training to the next level. If you’re looking for a new and exciting way to challenge yourself, this VR workout plan is perfect for you. Take your rest days as needed.
|Monday||– 5x Songs: Pistol Whip: Dual brawler mode. Pick “easy” songs this will get you ducking dodging and throwing uppercuts like crazy. It won’t feel easy. |
– 1 set of push ups, 1 set of body weight squats, 1 set of pull ups (if available)
|Tuesday||10 Songs of your favorite rhythm game: Put on 10 bangers in rhythm games: Examples: Beat Saber, Ragnarok, Pistol Whip|
|Wednesday||Long guided VR workout: Pick up either Supernatural (Oculus only), or Les Mills body combat or BOXVR and pick a 20 minute+ workout|
– 2 sets of push ups, 2 set of body weight squats, 2 set of pull ups
|Thursday||Full rest day|
|Friday||30 minutes VR boxing conditioning: Pick your favorite boxing game and set a timer for 30 minutes. Examples include Thrill of the Fight, BoxfitVR and Lesmills body combat.|
|Saturday||– 2 sets of push ups, 2 set of body weight squats, 2 set of pull ups (if available)|
– play your favorite VR game for 30 minutes
|Free play in VR|
How to get started with VR workouts for weight loss
If you’re interested in using VR technology to help with your weight loss and fitness goals, here are some steps to get started:
- Choose a VR headset: The first step is to choose a VR headset that is suitable for your needs. There are a wide range of VR headsets available, with different features and price points. Some popular options include the Meta Quest 2, the Pico 4, and the PlayStation VR.
- Choose a VR fitness program above (Beginner or advanced): Once you have a VR headset, the next step is to purchase a few VR fitness games so you don’t get bored playing the same thing all the time. Some popular options include Holofit, Pistol whip, Thrill of the fight, Box VR, and Beat Saber.
- Set up your VR workout space: Before you start your VR workout, it’s important to set up your workout space in a way that is safe and comfortable. This may involve moving furniture, setting up your VR headset, and preparing a drink bottle and towel for your sweat.
- Start your VR workout: Once you have set up your workout space, it’s time to start your VR workout. Follow the instructions and start moving. When playing a game like Beatsaber or box try focusing on good form rather than going as fast possible as this may increase the risk of injury. This means using controlled and deliberate strikes.
VR Fitness tracking
Popular stand alone headsets like the Pico 4 and Meta Quest 2 have their own inbuilt calorie tracking. Alternatively you can use a smart watch with any VR headset.
Fitness tracking can help motivate you to be more active, including activity rings that show you how close you are to reaching your daily activity goals. They can also send you notifications and challenges to encourage you to move more throughout the day.
The Pico 4 fitness tracker breaks down how many calories you burnt in each game along with a daily and monthly tracker. The Apple Watch has a variety of built-in tracking features that allow you to track a variety of workouts, including running, cycling, swimming, and more (you can make a custom workout in VR – we recommend marking it as High Intensity). It can also track your daily activity, such as steps taken and calories burned.
Focus on form
“Don’t ego lift” applies to VR too. When boxing in VR fully extend your jabs and crosses then bring them back to near your face after each punch. When playing rhythm games, pick an easier difficulty and focus on controlled and strong strikes.
Good form can help you get the most out of your VR workouts. By using proper form, you can ensure that you are targeting the right muscles and getting the most out of each game. This can ultimately help you get better results from your workouts.
Poor form can increase your risk of injury, particularly in rhythm games where there song is way too fast, resulting in too much wrist movements. By selecting slower songs, focusing on good form, you can help prevent muscle strains, pulls, and other common injuries.
Things to consider
To really move the needle with weight loss and fitness you also need to get your diet, sleep and while the cardio, squatting and striking from virtual reality is going to help, its highly recommended to include some resistance training.
- Diet: To lose weight, it’s important to pay attention to what you’re eating and to make sure you’re fueling your body with healthy, nutritious foods. This means following a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Avoid processed and high-fat foods, as well as sugary drinks and snacks.
- Resistance training: In addition to focusing on your diet, it’s also important to include regular resistance training in your fitness routine. This can help you build muscle, which can boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories throughout the day. Try incorporating exercises like weightlifting, bodyweight exercises, and resistance band exercises into your routine (like the advanced VR workout plan).
- Sleep: Getting enough quality sleep is also essential for weight loss. When you’re well-rested, your body is better able to regulate hormones that control hunger and appetite. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night and make sure you’re creating a relaxing, conducive environment for sleep.
Overall, losing weight and getting fit is about making healthy lifestyle choices that support your weight loss goals. It doesn’t need to be complicated. This means eating a balanced diet, incorporating regular exercise (VR), and getting enough sleep.
Eat, Sleep, Game, Repeat!
Bonus Tip for diet
Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern that involves regular periods of fasting and eating. There are many different ways to do intermittent fasting, but a common method is to eat only during a certain window of time each day, such as only eating during an 8-hour period and fasting for the remaining 16 hours. This can help to reduce the overall number of calories consumed, which can lead to weight loss and other health benefits. To do intermittent fasting, try setting a specific time each day to start and stop eating, and stick to only eating during that time. You can also try experimenting with different fasting and eating windows to find what works best for you. It’s important to talk to your doctor before starting any new eating pattern, especially if you have any existing health conditions.